Every 73 seconds, an American is sexually assaulted…
and every 9 minutes, that victim is a child.
Sexual assault refers to any unwanted intimate or sexual contact. Often, people associate sexual assault with rape, however rape is only one of the several forms of sexual assault. Other forms of sexual assault include: unwanted touching/fondling, attempted rape, forcing a victim to perform certain sexual acts or favors.
Like all abuse, sexual assault can happen to anyone and can be perpetrated by anyone. Sexual assault is happening around us and often goes unreported out of fear, shame or embarrassment. The perpetrator relies on the victim’s silence. We are here to listen.
If you or someone you know has been a victim of a sexual assault, call our 24/7 crisis hotline at (631) 360-3606.
The SANE/SAFE Program at VIBS offers specialized exams and medical services to victims of sexual assault. Following a SANE Center visit, an Advocate will outreach to offer additional information and provide the victim with available services including:
- Assistance with victim compensation applications
- Court, law enforcement or prosecution interview accompaniment
- Referrals for medical follow-up appointments
- Counseling (available to adults, adolescents and children) at VIBS
- Advocacy and/or legal representation through the Legal Services Department at VIBS
If you have questions about any of the program/services at VIBS, call (631) 360-3730.