On August 31, 2018, veterans will kayak 22 miles across the Long Island Sound from Bridgeport, CT to Port Jefferson, NY to raise awareness about PTSD and funds for programs that serve veterans. VIBS is proud to be one of the beneficiaries of the 22 PAC event again this year.
Currently, 22 veterans die by suicide every day in the United States. The goal of VIBS is to reduce the number of veteran suicides by providing counseling and necessary services to veterans living with Military Sexual Trauma and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Through our specialized counseling program, we also provide PTSD services to victims of domestic violence and sexual assault.
VIBS counselors are trained in Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TFCBT), which helps to lessen the symptoms of PTSD. TFCBT provides mechanisms to manage anxiety and works on relaxation and visualization along with coping skills.
For a printable version of the sponsorship opportunities click here.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
- If you are a veteran and you want to participate – let us know.
- Donate to this event! We also need donations of giveaways, food, gift cards, etc. for the day of the event.
- Come out at 8:00 am to cheer on the veterans are they board the Port Jefferson ferry!
- Join us for a community resource center – at the Port Jefferson Recreation Center from 3:00 pm – 6:00 pm. Contact us for tabling information.
- Welcome the veterans to Port Jefferson Bay as they kayak to the beach – and complete this significant challenge in support of their fellow veterans and agencies that support veterans and PTSD.
- Volunteer day of.
Event Contact Information: Debbie Mullarkey by email or at 631-360-3730 ext 144
To read a press release about the 2017 event click here.