VIBS Victim Advocates provide services to help victims make sense of the criminal justice system, social services and other resources available for survivors’ safety and well-being. Help is available by phone or in person. A VIBS advocate can provide:
- Information about obtaining orders of protection, victims’ rights and options, legal and other resources available in Suffolk County
- Help communicating with the police or District Attorney’s office
- Accompaniment to District Court, Family Court, Supreme Court, or the specialized Domestic Violence Courts
- Accompaniment to Grand Jury proceedings
- Assistance with victim impact statements
- Information, referrals and help obtaining social services and other basic services such as transportation, emergency food, shelter, immigration assistance
- Spanish/English bilingual services
- Assistance with crime victims compensations applications/services
- Referrals to counseling and legal services
- Information regarding health and safety, STI treatment and prevention
For more information or to request the help of a VIBS Victim Advocate, you can call the 24-Hour Hotline at (631) 360-3606.
For tips on how to prevent sexual assault on college campuses, click here.