Volunteers are an integral part of the work we do in creating futures free of violence and we are so grateful for those who take the time to volunteer with us. Whether you work directly with the people we serve or help with other office duties, you can make a difference. To find out about volunteer qualifications, selection process, and available training, contact VIBS at (631) 360-3730.
- Rape Crisis Counselors (RCCs) are trained by VIBS and certified by the NYS Department of Health. Training includes 30-hours of pre-service training and at least 10 hours of in-service training during the first year in the program. RCCs are on-call to respond to any Suffolk County hospital to meet with survivors of rape, sexual assault or domestic violence. Apply to be a Rape Crisis Counselor »
- Dispatchers are needed to dispatch our rape crisis counselors when there is a victim at one of our SAFE Centers or in an emergency department. Your commitment would be to cover a 2 week rotation schedule once every other month. The hours for this position are: Monday through Thursday 9:00 pm to 9:00 am, weekends, and any holidays or events that the Agency closes for during that 2 week time period. You would receive a call on your cell and/or home phone and then dispatch the RCC that is on-call. Apply to be a Dispatcher »
- Outreach Volunteers are available to assist the Community Education department by tabling at various events throughout Suffolk County. Possible audiences are community groups, schools and health fairs. Candidates will be trained on all aspects of VIBS services so they can serve as ambassadors of the program when performing outreach at public events. Apply to be a VIBS Outreach Volunteer »
- Childcare Volunteers help model healthy relationships and safe boundaries with children, while a parent is participating in counseling. Apply to be a childcare volunteer »
- Special Events and Fundraising: Volunteers can help with events, such as our annual Spring Author’s Luncheon and Walk the Walk, or help to organize other important projects and activities. Apply to be a VIBS Special Event volunteer »
- Clerical Volunteers are needed to help with our reception and clerical duties on a daily basis. The hours for this position are flexible. We ask for a commitment of one 3 -4 hour shift one day a week — Monday through Thursday, 9:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. and Fridays, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. This position would involve greeting clients, answering the phone, basic filing, data entry, and other clerical duties as needed. Apply to be a clerical volunteer »