The benefits of volunteering can be enormous to you, your family and your community. Volunteers are the lifeblood of our agency and an integral part of the work we do in creating futures free of violence. Finding the right volunteering opportunity can be a very rewarding experience and can help you learn new skills and even advance your career. Volunteering can even help protect your mental and physical health.
Whether you work directly with the people we serve or help with our office, you can make a difference. To find out about volunteer qualifications, selection process, and available training, contact the volunteer coordinator.
- Rape Crisis Counselors (RCC’s) are trained and certified rape crisis counselors. They complete a forty (40) hour training program approved by the New York State Department of Health and are certified under the auspices of VIBS. ERC’s are on call to respond to any Suffolk County hospital to meet with victims of rape, sexual assault or domestic violence of all ages.
Apply to be a Rape Crisis Counselor »
- Dispatchers are needed to dispatch our rape crisis counselors when there is a victim at one of our SAFE Centers or in an emergency department. Your commitment would be to cover a 2 week rotation schedule once every other month. The hours for this position are: Monday through Thursday 9:00 pm to 9:00 am, weekends, and any holidays or events that the Agency closes for during that 2 week time period. You would receive a call on your cell and/or home phone and then dispatch the RCC that is on-call.
Apply to be a Dispatcher »
- Outreach Volunteers are available to assist the Community Education department by performing outreach/tabling at various events throughout Suffolk County. Possible audiences are community groups, schools and health fairs. Candidates will be trained on all aspects of VIBS services so they can serve as ambassadors of the program when performing outreach at public events.
Apply to be a VIBS Outreach Volunteer »
- Childcare Volunteers help model healthy relationships and safe boundaries with children, while a parent is participating in counseling.
Apply to be a childcare volunteer »
- Fund Raising and Special Events: Volunteers can help with fund raising events, such as our Book Luncheon or Domestic Violence Awareness 5K walk/run, or help to organize miscellaneous projects and activities.
Apply to be a VIBS Special Event volunteer »
- Clerical Volunteers are needed to help with our reception and clerical duties. We look to have volunteer reception coverage on a daily basis. The hours for this position are flexible. We ask for a commitment of one 3 -4 hour shift one day a week, between 9:00am and 9:00pm, Monday through Thursday, and Friday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm. This position would involve greeting clients, answering the phone, basic filing, data entry, and other clerical duties as needed.
Apply to be a clerical volunteer »