Your worth should never be determined or controlled by another person. You deserve to be safe. How to protect yourself from exploitation:
- Do not share your passwords (social media, bank, email, etc.) that someone can control. Gaining control over someone is the first step in trafficking.
- Avoid posting your location on social media where a trafficker can target you.
- Keep your ID/documents safe and under your control; don’t let someone hold them for you.
- Identify friends, community members or family that you can trust for emergencies.
- Create a safety plan if you need a place to go if you feel unsafe.
If you have concerns for your safety or fear you may be a victim of human trafficking, call our 24/7 Crisis Hotline at (631) 360-3606 to speak with trained staff who can help.