Counselor (LCSW required) Full-Time Exempt Temporary Position
Position: The bilingual counselor must have good communication skills, exercise discretion, be non-judgmental and have the ability to complete paperwork in a timely manner. The candidate must be someone who can engage and set healthy boundaries with clients. The candidate must have knowledge of domestic and sexual violence and the process of helping them heal from abuse. The candidate must be able to work with other agencies, such as the legal system and CPS. The candidate will attend in house and off site meetings and trainings and will report to the Director of Counseling. S/he must be able to utilize the supervisory relationship to address and resolve work related concerns to enhance clinical skills. S/he will be a representative of the agency and must be presentable in a professional manner, which includes dress. This person must have familiarity and experience in working with Latino communities.This is a great opportunity to work with underserved populations and help clients to overcome the abuse or neglect they are enduring alone. The candidate needs to be a great source of support for each client.
Responsibilities for Counselor:
- Provide crisis intervention and individual counseling to victims of domestic violence, rape/sexual assault and incest
- Work in conjunction with children’s program counselors to also facilitate family sessions or to get counseling for child witnesses to domestic violence
- Communicate case management or treatment plan to other involved VIBS staff, such as children’s counseling, advocacy and hotline, where appropriate;
- Provide assessment and Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TFCBT)
- Keep accurate and appropriate case records
- Attend staff meetings, trainings and weekly clinical supervision
- Complete and submit OVS applications
- Work evenings as required
- Compile accurate statistics and other paperwork required by the agency or funding source
- Perform other duties as requested, including but not limited to crisis intervention for walk-in clients, intake interviews, reception and hotline coverage
Skills and Abilities Required:
- Counselor needs excellent clinical skills in order to establish a good working relationship with clients.
- Ability to discuss and complete safety plans with clients.
- Ability to use supervision to discuss clients and their issues.
- Excellent communication skills, verbally and written.
- Ability to complete assigned tasks in a timely manner; good organizational skills.
- Proven ability to interact well with outside agencies, which include APS and other agencies that deal with the elder population.
- Ability to work and comfort domestic violence and rape/sexual assault clients
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office
- Ability to lift 20 pounds
- Must be able to drive and willing to travel within Suffolk County*
- Two or more years in the counseling field.
- Prior experience in the domestic violence or rape/sexual assault field
- Must have use of a car and a valid driver’s license.
- Must have computer skills and know Microsoft programs.
- Must be willing to have a background check
If you are interested, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org