The Community Outreach and Education department at VIBS consists of professional staff with extensive experience in providing preventive education and professional trainings. Raising awareness through education and outreach are essential to preventing violence and changing the way that the public views victims. VIBS’ team of educators act as liaisons between VIBS and the public, seeking to directly engage the community concerning the issue of violence.
With one in three women being physically abused by a spouse or intimate partner in their lifetime, there is a great need for intervention, prevention and education whenever possible. There is still so much misinformation on the topic of violence in general and a misunderstanding toward victims, this is what community educators at VIBS work to correct.
In 2016, VIBS Community Outreach and Education department reached 21,334 Suffolk County residents through 235 presentations, workshops, community events, panel discussions and professional trainings. So far in 2017, they have reached nearly 30,000 residents through 335 events and are working every day to expand their preventative outreach.
- Educational presentations to professional groups, organizations, schools, faith or religious communities on the topics of:
- Domestic violence, dating violence, intimate partner violence, family violence
- Rape and sexual assault (including “date rape”)
- Sexual harassment
- Human trafficking
- Enough is Enough sexual assault prevention education on college campuses
- Brochures and literature
- Participation in health fairs and conferences
- Long term Primary Prevention programs
If you are interested in having a VIBS’ presenter speak to your organization, please contact the Community Education Department at (631) 360-3730