If you are a victim of violence, abuse, rape/sexual assault or human trafficking, VIBS can help…
Our court and service advocates help victims navigate through the criminal justice system, social services and other resources available for survivors’ safety and well-being. Help is available by phone or in person and petitions can be completed remotely. Whether in Family, District or Supreme Court, advocates are trained and experienced in helping victims through the process.
Advocates can provide:
- Information about obtaining orders of protection, victims’ rights options and other resources
- Help communicating with the Police or the District Attorney’s office
- Crisis intervention
- Safety planning techniques when residing with, and after leaving, an abusive relationship
- Accompaniment to Court; including the specialized Domestic Violence courtrooms
- Help obtaining social services — including transportation, food, shelter, immigration assistance
- Assistance with victim compensation applications and services
- Referrals to other VIBS programs — including counseling or legal services
- Elder abuse advocacy for those over age 60 who experience abuse
- Assistance with victim impact statements
- Information regarding health and safety, STI treatment and prevention
Advocacy services are available in English, Spanish and other languages. Services available for deaf/hard of hearing clients, TDD and sign language interpretation.
Contact VIBS at (631) 360-3730 or call the 24/7 Crisis Hotline at (631) 360-3606